London Jobs Board
Title Engineering Team Lead
Location London or Sheffield
Full time, permanent
Salary £80,000 – £100,000
Tes is the world's largest professional network for teachers. We power schools and enable great teaching worldwide, by creating intelligent online products and services to make the greatest difference in education.
We are undergoing an exciting transformation within our Engineering Team and are seeking Engineering Team Leads to join us on the next phase of our journey.
You will have a proven record of working at all levels of software engineering, with experience of leading and mentoring software engineers. You will know what it takes to build and develop our people and create the next generation of talent for Tes Engineering.
This isn't a hand-on coding role, but you will play a critical role in providing leadership, management, direction, and vision to our engineering squads, which includes software engineers and quality assurance engineers.
You will work closely with the Head of Product Development and our Technical Leads to ensure that we have engineering excellence across all our product verticals.
Key role responsibilities:
* Operate as an innovative leader by championing our engineering culture through knowledge sharing, coaching, best practices, and market trends for software development.
* People management responsibilities including career development, performance objectives and coaching.
* Help build and lead software teams that deliver world class and highly scalable products.
* Champion engineering excellence and best practices across all our product verticals.
* Implement efficient and measurable performance metrics and KPIs for the software engineers and QA team members.
* Define and implement process improvements to ensure we have efficiency within software engineering at Tes.
* Collaborate across product verticals to ensure that software engineering processes are aligned across Tes globally.
* Establishing Engineering team metrics and processes for regular assessment and improvement.
* Contribute to our Technical roadmap by being a key advisor around software engineering and architectural best practices.
Education and experience requirements:
* Demonstratable experience of leading engineer teams, preferably within a distributed leadership model.
* Experience of working within a team following Agile methodologies (preferably Scrum).
* Proven skills in the line management / performance management and coaching of software teams.
* Challenge and engage those around you and have the ability to think strategically.
* Previous career experience working as an Engineer or professional experience with one or more programming languages in your career.
* An understanding of software development life cycles and efficient processes around techniques such as CI / CD / TDD / BDD etc.
* Outstanding interpersonal communication skills.
* Good written and verbal skills, able to translate concepts into easily understood diagrams and visuals for both technical and non-technical people alike.
* Happy to contribute and share knowledge amongst their own team and Tes Engineering via knowledge sharing meetings.
* You will ideally have a degree, preferably in a technical subject and a good foundation and understanding of Engineering best practices and methodologies.
* You do not have to satisfy every requirement or meet every qualification listed, you will be assessed on your willingness to learn and to collaborate with others.
What do you get in return?
* 25 days annual leave rising to 30
* 5% pension after probation
* State of the art offices
* Access to a range of benefits via My Benefits World
* Free Bupa Health cover
* Life Assurance
* Long Term Disability Insurance
* Season Ticket Loan
* Paid for monthly nights out
* Access to an extensive Learning and Development menu
Who are Tes?
Tes Global is a global digital education company that has been supporting educators for over 100 years. We power schools and enable great teaching worldwide, by creating intelligent online products and services to make the greatest difference in education.
With more than 13.7m education professionals and enthusiasts in our online community using over 900k classroom resources and working relationships with 25,000 schools in over 100 countries, we have the scale to make a difference. Our innovative products and services are delivered through a range of partners across the globe. We help schools find the teachers they need; we bring new teachers into the profession through initial teacher training; we provide teachers with continuous professional development and help educators with safeguarding training and compliance. We provide innovative tools to help teachers succeed in the classroom as well as bring educators together online, so they can share expertise and provide them with vital news and information about education.
We are leaders in using digital technology to make life easier for schools and teachers. The services offered through (url removed) play a critical role in helping teachers and school leaders deal with the challenges of providing high quality education to millions of children across the globe.
We are proud of our people centric culture where everyone is driven to achieve the same goal, to support and connect teachers and schools worldwide, helping them to improve children's lives through education.
Tes Global will ensure all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or on the basis of disability. We invite applicants to contact us directly to identify any additional support required
Register your CV and be found by over 10,000+ companies who are hiring today – Submit CV